Sunday, October 10, 2010

How I nearly lost my motivation.

Yesterday I ran the Hartford 1/2 marathon and when I finished I stuck around to watch those running the full marathon finish. I was watching from around mile 25.5 so by this point in marathons runners aren't looking too chipper. In fact, you could see the pain and agony in their faces. For some reason I really struggled through the half marathon, so watching the full marathoners and seeing them in this state was not very motivational for me. The only thing I could think was, "What the h am I thinking? These people are in pure pain and I'm supposed to do this in four weeks? Please don't make me."

Yeah, it wasn't the motivation I was hoping to get. But then I got home and saw this on my dresser and remembered how just two days earlier when it came in the mail I was pretty much jumping up and down with excitement. 
(My marathon handbook!)
And then I saw these ads in the subway station. 


(Don't these runners look AMAZING!)
And then I remembered that I really was excited about this race!! And I also remembered that I was running this for people who have to deal with A LOT more pain than I would be dealing with. And that's when I became excited again and told myself to quit whining! 

On that note, remember how you have the chance to help cancer patients by donating to my marathon fundraising, and remember that you can also do that by purchasing a hat knitted by moi? Well, I've decided to extend my hat sale for another week, so you still have some time to do something good. Do it today before you forget!! (See previous post for details).
p.s. Sorry for the crappy pictures taken from my phone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment