Sunday, October 24, 2010

Thanks Mr. B. for changing my life!

I’ve been thinking about someone a lot lately, someone who changed my life. Dramatic and cheesy sounding, right? But, it’s kind of true.
Seven years ago I was working at a law firm and one of our clients (we’ll call him Mr. B.) was an ironman’er (that’s not a word, but I’m going to use it anyway) – basically, he was hardcore! One day we started marathon chit-chatting, and he told me I should run one. I, of course, baulked at the idea since other than running track in high school, I had never ran beyond three miles. He proceeded to tell me how he trained people with severe arthritis and that most of them shouldn’t even be walking. Then he pulled this card: “If these people can run a marathon, so can you.” Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on whether or not you consider running a fortunate thing), his tactic worked. The next thing I knew I found myself asking him for a training schedule so I could run the 2004 Phoenix Rock and Roll Marathon. And that, my friends, is basically the beginning of my new life as a so called runner.
Once when Mr. B. was in the office we were marathon chatting again and he told me about the time he ran the NYC marathon. His story was pretty fascinating, and I was kind of envious when he talked about the millions of people that lined the sidewalks to cheer on the runners. It all sounded so surreal and seemed like it was an event way out of my league. Besides, at the time I didn’t really buy into all that talk that marathons are like chips, you can’t eat (run) just one. I was pretty sure the race I was training for would be my first and my last, so running the NYC marathon was not even a thought that crossed my mind.
Two years later I found myself living in NYC, something else I had never even considered. I was busy with grad school and had somewhat taken a hiatus from running. Okay, so laziness was the real problem, but since I like to displace my problems I’ll blame my running hiatus on grad school. When fall rolled around and the subways and buses started sporting ads for the marathon and the city was buzzing with marathon excitement I found myself with runner’s envy. I really wanted to run. And then I started thinking about Mr. B. and that time he told me about when he ran NYC. Suddenly I realized maybe it was a possibility. “Hey, not only do I run now, but I also live in NYC,” I thought. “Why can’t I be like Mr. B. and run the marathon?” And so my quest to get a coveted spot in the NYC marathon began.
Really, thanks to Mr. B. I am just 14 days away from the NYC marathon. Although my body is sore and achy and tired, and I finally had to invest in a foam roller, I really do love running and I am so excited to finally experience the NYC marathon, like Mr. B. If it hadn’t been for his influence and encouragement I would never have believed it possible to run beyond my wimpy three miles, much less the NYC marathon. Running has given me more confidence, it has made me strong, it has made me push myself more than I ever thought possible, and it has brought me many close friends. Running has changed my life. (cliché I know, but it’s kinda true).
This time I am running to help change other peoples’ lives. I am running so Team Continuum can continue providing assistance to cancer patients and their families. I am getting close to my goal, but I still have a ways to go and less than 2 weeks left to get there. Donations of any size can make all the difference.
Please take a look at my web page and learn how you can help!

No comments:

Post a Comment